Nearly three decade ago first introduced in Europe, smart cards have improved the security and convenience of any transaction. They offered tamper-proof storage of user and account identity. Smart card programs are more reliable comparatively other machine-readable cards, such as magnetic stripe and barcode, with many studies showing card read life and reader life enhancements representing much lesser cost of system maintenance.
When exchanging any sort of data throughout any sort of network smart cards provide important elements of system security. They protect against a full range of security threats, from incautious storage of user passwords to high-level system hacks. The expenses to manage password resets for an enterprise are very high, hence making smart cards a cost-effective solution in such environments. Multifunction cards can also be used to control network system access and store value and other data.
Universally, smart cards are now utilized for:
- Banking – such as debit/credit transactions
- Retail – such as loyalty schemes, electronic cash, frequent flyer points
- Tele-communications such as SIM cards
- Security- such as access control
- Health -such as patient records, pharmaceuticals
- Transport -such as road tolls, parking fees, bus fees
- Satellite TV
- Government identification- such as Passports, Border Security Cards
Therefore, emerging trends of smart cards have just made the monotonous tasks effortless. To know more about smart cards, smartcards based solutions, please visit us on http://www.avi-infosys.com we would be delighted to let you know more about this exciting tech.