A small plastic card similar to a credit card in its size and shape made tiresome routine task easy and speedy. Just swipe your smart card to enter or exit door, make payments, and provide your identity in few seconds and so on. It contains a computer chip inside it called micro processor which is filled with data, processing application that is linked to a service. This amazing device aims to improve ease of use and increase convenience for the user.
As compare to magnetic stripe card Smart card contains more information which can be programmed for various applications. Some cards contain data to carry multiple applications while some can be reorganized to add new applications after they are issued. They can be inserted into a slot and read by an exclusive card reader. These cards could be disposable or reloadable for more applications. Generally, these cards used for a various tasks like telephoning, electronic cash payments, or other applications, and can be refreshed periodically for further utility. Currently or soon, use of a smart card enables you to:
- To make telephone and be charged on a per-call basis
- Create your identity while logging on to an Internet access provider or to an online bank
- Making payments for parking or to get on subways, trains, or buses
- Without filling out a form share your personal data with hospitals or doctors
- Make small purchases on the web (which is type of cyber cash)
- At a gasoline station to buy gasoline